Monday, May 24, 2010

The element of surprise

One of my favorite television shows is on tonight. I've tuned in for many seasons and followed it faithfully. So when my husband asked me earlier today if I was looking forward to the show tonight, he was surprised when I answered, "no."

"Why not?" he asked.

"Because I've lost interest. It's too predictible," I told him.

Predictibility can affect your marketing as well. When your ads, your website or your other marketing vehicles never seem to change, people start tuning out. It's not necessarily that they don't like your product, but they've seen what you have to offer and frankly, they're ready to move on.

Time to surprise them! Yes, your message should be consistent, but think about changing the way you deliver it. Are you still handing out that brochure from 2003? It may be time to brighten your corporate colors or refresh your logo. Bring humor into your ads. Post some video on your website. Search for persuasive new testimonials. Team up with a new partner and offer a new service or a valuable seminar.

There are many ways to breathe new life into stale marketing; just remember to shake things up from time to time. When you become too predictible, a good chunk of your audience may wind up losing interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment